Pre-production, as it turns out, is all about time management and task-prioritizing.
Here is a rough list of things I have to do right now, in no particular order:
- Send several emails
- Fill out insurance applications
- Build a website for the film
- Post things on the website
- Record a video podcast. Every week.
- Draw stick-figure storyboards for the entire film.
- Do an inventory of the gear we have at our disposal
- Get bios and photographs of the crew
- Write sides to hand out at auditions
- Make the production schedule
- Read two books on directing actors
- Watch several movies for inspiration
- This blog post
- About 20 more things I can’t remember right now.
Figuring out which of those things to spend my time on is probably the biggest challenge. Nearly all of them are easy to do, or at least close. That’s not the problem.
Cheap, fast or good. You can have any two of those three.
I’m trying to leave out “fast,” but even that is turning out to be hard.